Wednesday, November 9, 2011

November 8, 2011

Hello all been a little while since I have posted, few updates for you all.  Unfortunately since my last post the Patriots have dropped two in a row making my two weeks not exactly ideal.  However I have been able to withstand these detrimental events by living in one of the most exciting cities in the world.  Since being here I have picked up cooking stir fry noodles for dinner.  It's pretty simple and always proves to be a pretty tasty dinner.  Right down the street we have something called the "Wet Market" and it is a huge market where they sell ton's of   fresh seafood and fruit and... they sell it really cheap.  So one day I bought a big bag of fresh shrimp and threw that in a stir fry for dinner.  A picture is below of that stir fry taken by my roommate Tucker is below!
This week I had to head back to the grocery store to pick up more groceries and I ended up buying some chicken breast to throw in this weeks batch of stir fry.  So as you can tell I have been eating a lot of stir fry for dinner.  Lunch has been a similar story as I have been eating Peanut Butter and Jelly almost everyday with an apple or an orange.
Sam actually left at about 9 yesterday so I have been by myself in Hong Kong for a full day now and its no big deal I am keeping myself busy with work, chores (cleaning, dishes, laundry), sending out resumes and of course the gym.  I have been going to the gym just about everyday since the end of last week.  Right now I have a free pass that I have been using, but tomorrow it expires so I will have to officially join.  They gym is called California Fitness and is not bad, they have a ton of machines and the only downside is that after work it is really busy but I always manage to get done what I need to.  It is the cheapest gym that I could find, but is still pricy at about $48 US a month.  However, it has a ton of upside as it is literally a 3 min walk from my house, when you go in they give you a gym towel and a larger shower towel which is awesome for me, because I sweat a ton.  The showers are great as they are all personal, and they have shampoo, conditioner and body wash dispensers in all of them.  Then when you are done showering they have a ton of mirrors with complimentary body lotion, qtips and blow dryers.  So I figure I can save a ton of money on water this month by showering at the gym!!! lol
Our friend Ben has committed to moving in with us, right now he lives with his Dad here in Hong Kong, however his Dad was just re-married and with Ben coming in very late on weekends he is ready for Ben to get his own place.  So Ben will be moving his stuff in throughout this month, staying here on and off, and will officially move in after Christmas.  He is taking his Dad by tomorrow to show him the place and then we are all going out for dinner as they invited me to come along.  More good news, my boss and her boyfriend are planning on having Thanksgiving at their flat and they invited me to come over as they are both Americans as well.  Jessica (my boss) said that her boyfriend Scott said I could come as long as I wore his Jets jersey, I told her I would consider it as long as no pics were taken and it was never spoken of again.  I am secretly planning on cursing it if he actually makes me put it on! Patriots Nation for Life!
Last Friday I had lunch with the man I consider my mentor out here in Hong Kong my old boss from Global Sage, Andrew Miller.  We had a good catch up and he gave me some pointers about my job search in the future and even said he would connect me with some of his close friends in the PR and advertising businesses.  So I have to put some stuff together to send him, which I am trying to do by the end of next week.  That was good to see him and some other people at the Global Sage office that I have not seen in a while.  I also video chatted with Pete on Sunday and was glad to hear that he will be making the trip out here either in February or January.  Lauren and Tara are planning on coming in January, so it might be more fun for him if he has them to hang with while my roommates and I are at work.  The only problem is the sleeping arrangements, we can only really fit one comfortably on our couch, so if he chooses to do that then we will have to find an air mattress or something.  However February might be an interesting time to come as well as it will be Chinese New Year and the city will be quite lively.
That brings us to this week, I have been really busy at work and have not had much time after work to do anything aside from send resumes, workout, eat and chat with Tara.  After all that I am usually wiped and head to bed around 11 or 11:30.  I have been hitting the gym pretty hard and have not been really spending any money aside from the groceries, so today after dinner I was having what I call a "Gloria Craving"meaning I was having a heavy crave for my mother and I's favorite dessert; ICE CREAM.  I was not able to say no so I caved and went and got myself a cup of chocolate frozen yogurt ("mmm that does sound good!!") there was strawberries, peaches and mango on it though so it was not entirely unhealthy.   I guess, the only other really good news I have is that I beat my league leader in Fantasy this week bringing my record to 3-6.  I have already decided that I will be staying up late this Sunday to watch the Patriots play the Jets, I am a little worried since the Patriots have been playing like the pre- Icebox little Giants!  I hope they can find a way to beat the crap out of them, that will make wearing that stupid Jets jersey so much easier.  Well thats it for now, I will once again leave you with some Cantonese phrases.
These are actually really hard to pronounce correctly, as apparently there are 6 different tones when speaking in the Cantonese language!

Take me to (if you were talking to a cabbie) - Dai orr huieee
where is the MTR Station - Kay tik jom hi bean?

No comments:

Post a Comment